Key to the Sacred Pattern

18 May 2008

Why Do You Seek the Grail?

"You see, he was going for the Holy Grail. The boys all took a flier at the Holy Grail now and then. It was a several years' cruise. They always put in the long absence snooping around, in the most conscientious way, though none of them had any idea where the Holy Grail really was, and I don't think any of them actually expected to find it, or would have known what to do with it if he had run across it."
Mark Twain, A Connecticut Yankee in King Arthur's Court

My long time friend, Charlie Millson has always been supportive of the work here at Grail Seekers. He’s one of those friends that much of the topics I cover in the blog interests him, but has not plumbed the depths of the underground stream very much. Charlie was a history teacher for a number of years, so he is naturally attracted to the crypto-history Grail studies brings up.

As such, Charlie asks questions and brings a point of view that is much different than those I have regular correspondence with. I received an email this week with the following in it, “Taking the Shakespearean meaning of ‘wherefore’ as ‘why’, I didn’t see any link or commentary on why people seek the grail. Why do you? A standing editorial, perhaps, might be a good starting point.”

You’re exactly right Chuckles. Often I get caught up in the hunt and forget the “why” portion of the equation. I think that it is much easier to take action than it is to take stock of one’s motivations. My trip to New York for the Bloodline press conference is a prime example. Taking the steps to make that trip happen was difficult, but a much simpler task than asking myself what possessed me to do so.

Percival had the same issue that I am now realizing I have. For him, the action of the quest was the simple part. Answering the question of, “Whom does the Grail serve?” was his stumbling block. I decided to look within myself to answer Charlie’s original question, “Why do you?”

The answer I came up with wasn’t earth shattering or particularly insightful, although it turned out to be instructive to me. I seek the Grail because it is the ultimate end point. I realized that I have turned the Grail into an Ayn Rand knot of selfishness. No matter what your vision of the Grail is, by finding it all of one’s questions would have to be answered. It’s not the world changing power that the Grail might hold I wish to hold. The usefulness of such things is better left up to others I think. But my desire to simply have the questions answered on the myriad of topics that hit on the Grail, is why I seek.

Now this doesn’t help in making me the sort of pure of heart character that is worthy enough to answer, “Whom does the Grail serve?” As my wife Laura can tell you, I’m much too cranky and temperamental to fit any type of Joseph Campbell heroic mold. However, I do have an answer to the original question. That’s a start.

This also got me thinking about some of the correspondence I’ve gotten in the two years I’ve been writing the blog. From time to time I receive e-mails from readers that allude to why they are searching for the Grail. After writing the Nanteos Cup article, I got an e-mail from a woman that wanted to know if I had contact information for the Mirylees family. She had a sick family member and wanted to be able to use the Nanteos Cup for its legendary healing purpose. On the other end of the spectrum, I’ve received e-mails from folks that believe they are the end point of the Bloodline, those who know where the Ark of the Covenant is at, and have seen evidence of the Grail floating in the sky.

So why do you seek the Grail? If you're willing to share your thoughts with the rest of the group, e-mail me your answers. It might help others out there to see some of the "whys"out there to answer their own questions.

1 comment:

Peter Kampschuur said...

Dear Brian,

In spite of all intriguing stories one has to find the grail in himself - or herself. That's what all grail symbolism is about, don't you think?

Why don't you take al look at my blog: http://peterkampschuur.blogspot.com , then you can see what I mean. The text is in Dutch but if you browse via Google's search machine, it may privide for an translation. If not, there's a picture which wille speak for itself...

Yours sincerely,
Peter Kampschuur